Al-Monitor is a leading online news outlet that provides reporting and analysis on the Middle East. Al-Monitor offers an in-depth focus on Egypt, Gulf, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Lebanon, Palestine, Syria, and Turkey as well as US Congressional developments and Russia’s role in the region. Content is published both in English and its original language – Arabic, Hebrew, Persian and Turkish. Al-Monitor’s mission is to foster a deeper understanding between the Middle East and the international community by diving deep with analytical pieces from some of the most trusted, independent authors from across the globe.
Our team represents a diverse set of perspectives and Al-Monitor provides a unique, multilingual platform that amplifies their insights to allow us to uncover the trends shaping the future of the Middle East. Al-Monitor’s authors write for those who want to go beyond the headlines — readers who want to explore into the nuances of regional politics, but also those who want to better understand the social and culture context of the Middle East as seen, experienced and understood by those who live there.
Al-Monitor is seeking a summer intern for its DC office. The intern will learn how an international media organization functions by assisting the editorial staff in the smooth running of the website, helping to manage the office and complete project and market research. The position is in-office and comes with a monthly stipend. We ask for a 10 week commitment and the start date is flexible. The intern should have a demonstrated interest in the Middle East and current events. Some skill in one of our languages (Arabic, Hebrew, Persian or Turkish) and experience working on the backend of a website is preferred. The intern must be authorized to work in the United States.
How to Apply
Please send your resume and a short cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line “Intern Candidate.” No calls please.
Position: Culture Editor
Compensation: Competitive based on experience
Al-Monitor is looking for a talented writer and editor for our growing, multi-platform coverage of the people and cultures of the Middle East. The successful candidate will be responsible for discovering emerging trends in the region and bringing stories of cultural significance to an international audience reached through many online platforms.
Al-Monitor’s mission is to foster a deeper understanding between the Middle East and the international community through well-researched, analytical pieces from some of the most trusted, independent authors from across the globe.
Our team represents a diverse set of perspectives and Al-Monitor provides a unique, multilingual platform that amplifies their insights to allow us to uncover the trends that are shaping the future of the Middle East.
Al-Monitor’s authors write for those who want to go beyond the headlines — readers who want to not only explore the nuances of regional politics but also better understand the social and cultural context of the Middle East as seen, experienced and understood by those who live there.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities: The editor will be responsible for overseeing Al-Monitor’s new culture vertical, which will include recruiting new authors to cover cultural topics across the Middle East (e.g. art, architecture, theater, music, film, food, dance, etc.) and editing the pieces from those authors.
- Continually monitor emerging trends in the arts and other cultural topics in the region.
- Recruit new writers from across the region who can bring compelling stories to our readers.
- Deliver finished stories in English.
- Participate in project teams from concept through production.
- Communicate, defend, and build consensus around story ideas.
- Perform other duties as requested.
- 2+ years’ experience writing and editing similar content.
- A wide range of contacts across the Middle East.
- Grassroots knowledge of the arts and culture in the region.
- Ability to recruit new writers from across the region who can bring compelling stories to our readers.
- Proficient in English language and proven grammar and editing skills.
- Outstanding online portfolio of prior work.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to strike a balance between showing initiative and seeking appropriate guidance and input from others.
- Proficient in online technologies.
- Ability to prioritize work load and consistently meet deadlines.
- Good interpersonal skills; effective team player.
Qualified candidates should send CV and cover letter to email@example.com with “Culture Editor Position” in the subject line.